Thursday, October 13, 2016

When an article calls you out

As I was browsing different articles, scrolling down to see how long each one was (before reading them of course), the sweet acronym "tl;dr" popped into my head. I love the phrase tl;dr, it admits your own laziness to spend time in reading an entire article, post, etc. It also can serve to punish the writer, it tells them that they need to condense their writing to specifically retain your attention. Whether or not they consider your low-effort tl;dr message is another thing.

So I'm reading this Spectator article about how life is too fast and speeding up, and it brings up tl;dr specifically as an example. Damn. I just got called out. I live too fast!

A question I have is "how fast can we possibly become?" There's a humanly limit to how "fast" we can work and consume. Are we capable of hitting that limit now? Will we continue to live faster and faster as technology enables it more and more? How fast can society get? What do we lose from living in such a society?

All I know is that the article that could possibly tell me all of the answers is probably too long for me to read all the way through. tl;dr.


No comments:

Post a Comment