Monday, October 17, 2016

Instant Gratification

I hear time and time again that instant gratification is what is ruining our society. Everyone is losing patience and because of that our attention span is suffering. Within seconds of posting an Instagram picture or Facebook post, you can simultaneously feel satisfied by receiving a like. As learned in the article, people are only waiting two seconds, on average, for a video to load. Two seconds. But to be honest, I can't really say I'm surprised by this. I can start to feel my blood boil if my wi-fi is slow or if my connection is poor. I wouldn't wait more than two seconds for a video to load either... and I'm a little embarrassed. When did I become like this?

I have a good friend that is a dance teacher and she has told me on numerous occasions that this younger group of dancers are the hardest to teach. Simply because they're growing up in this instant gratification age. Learning how to dance and mastering a skill isn't something that can be 'instant'. These kids are not seeing results instantly and so they're giving up faster, throwing fits, and simply not working hard. They want to be instantly satisfied and given praise, and when they're not, they're just throwing in the towel instead of working harder. Their attention span is allowing them to give up and move on to something else. Although, she does not have the science and facts to back this idea up, it seems pretty credible to me.

Overall, instant gratification is a concept that is somewhat new to our society today and has only started its early stages of effects on us. I believe as technology evolves even more, the effect will become even stronger and become more detrimental to society.

No comments:

Post a Comment