Monday, October 17, 2016

Instant gratification is making us perpetually impatient

              With today’s technology, instant gratification has become the norm, as people no longer want to wait for information, unless it is quickly made available to them. When information, whether its news, videos, television, humor, or anything media produces, is given too late, it doesn’t get the same reaction, or effect on society today. The article “Instant Gratification is Making us Perpetually Impatient,” discusses how this idea of instant gratification, has made people extremely impatient, as they no longer want to wait for new content. Slow internet has become one of the most infuriating aspects of life, as waiting now seems unnecessary. Many aspects of technology have helped improve daily life. Apps for shopping, eating, information, and anything else offered makes life easier, and information easily accessible. This made me think of what can be done to help lessen the effect of instant gratification, and allow people to have more patience.

One way I have been able to achieve this is my own personal life, is not relying on phone applications that can be on phone internet browsers. For example, recently I deleted both the Facebook and espn apps off my phone. These were where I spent most of my daily phone activity, and I saw it having a negative effect on my life. I would stay on the page, and constantly refresh it, hoping for new information to obtain. I found this distracting, and also upsetting when I wasn’t able to receive new information. By deleting these apps from my phone, I have begun spending less time looking at my phone, and using it for actual purposes, not just boredom. I can still go on the internet and go to Facebook or espn when I need to, but because it is no longer just a click away, I find myself not constantly going to the internet browser to do so. With the current speed of the internet, and how easily information is accessible, societal lives are being negatively affected, as we have become impatient. By ridding myself of unnecessary access, I have created more free time, and less reliability on information gained through new technologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment