Wednesday, October 26, 2016

What you see isn't always the truth

Society puts so much faith in technology, and it’s easy to understand why. We want to work smarter, not harder. When it comes to problem-solving, we want to produce the most efficient solution that requires the least amount of extra work on our part- one that minimizes or eliminates human error. Without much scrutiny, it often seems like technology provides the solution we want. I can always trust that my scientific calculator will compute an equation faster and more correctly than I can on my own. I think we tend to think of all technologies with the same reverence as a calculator- as innovative devices that somehow transcend human errors and fault.

In actuality, my calculator isn’t perfect. It will only compute correct answers if, on my end, I give it the correct information to solve a problem with accuracy. If I slip up and provide the wrong value, or use an incorrect function, the calculator will give me an incorrect answer.  Just because technology has the capacity to operate without influence from human error does not negate its susceptibility to human error. A technological advancement put forth by a society plagued by prominent discrimination towards minority groups is inevitably going to reflect those biases.


It is very important not to assume that technology produces and presents bias-free data, because that is simply untrue.  Especially as technological advancements progress in the future, people need to be mindful of the fact that no device or software can truly supersede the flaws of the people who create it. 

1 comment: