Monday, October 24, 2016

Do Millennials Care?

There is no doubt about it, millennials are avid internet users. I spend so much time online, whether it is through my phone, my laptop, my iPad, scrolling through social media, Google, or miscellaneous websites, that it's too hard to keep up with what applications and which sites are stealing my data. For instance, I had no idea that Buzzfeed aggregates quiz answers, or that those Facebook quizzes have access to your information long after you take the quiz.

Millennials have grown up in this digital age, and we know no life other than this, so I think we are just unaware and unconcerned about how websites are using our data. Personally, I go back and forth about I feel regarding privacy. Some days, I'm all about it, but then other days I just don't care. In all reality, I'm just a number, just a random profile ID, within a large pool containing thousands of people and all their data.

I think it's hard to keep a steady platform on privacy, because I don't experience any day to day consequences from these websites having access to my data. Which is scary to think about, because while I'm being ignorant about online privacy, these corporations will be altering rules, and all of a sudden these effects will be evident and detrimental.

No comments:

Post a Comment