Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Social Media Creates an Unrealistic View of Who You Are

I remember there was a time right after high school when I moved into my first apartment right by my community college. I had my own minimum wage job that I worked for right after school and financial aid that helped pay for all of my bills as a young student. One month I couldn't afford to pay my internet bill, and was forced for that month to go and use the school's computer lab in the time being if I had any projects or reports that had to be typed up. I remember feeling so aggravated at the time because I wouldn't be able to go online through Facebook and see what all my friends were up too. Time passed very quickly though within this month and soon I had enough money for my internet to come back on. I remember the feeling of not having access to social media made me depressed, but soon a couple days went by and I actually felt happier than ever... 

Social media has a way of drawling us in and creating an illusion or perception of other peoples' lives. We see this on the daily and think to ourselves: "Wow she is so pretty", "I wished my eyebrows looked like that", "He gets to travel everywhere", "How is she or he able to travel everywhere", etc. These innocent, momentary comments are what is actually killing us on the inside. We perceive these pictures or filtered pictures of others that they choose to share in a way that makes us think that we are less than them. In reality we don't known what happens behind those pictures, and same with ours. We don't post our struggles, or our bad photos, only the ones we want others to see. We all want people to see the accomplishments in our life, not our struggles, but in reality how can we ever be happy with one another if we can't be ourselves and we live through a facade. Its not our accomplishments that make us who we are, but our struggles. In order to reach success, we had to struggle. We are human, but what is up with social media now a days making us out to be someone we aren't? I struggle with this daily on social media because I am one to compare myself with others, but then I realize we all are walking through different paths in life. We all need to stop comparing ourselves to others, and living life off a checklist, because the only way to reach happiness is to embrace ourselves through the struggles and success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment