Monday, October 17, 2016

Massage for overstimulation

As a massage therapist, I see the physical effects technology has on the body. The use of tech devices alters posture, and interestingly, the over-stimulation creates muscle tension. The typical approach to releasing muscle tension and the adhesions, knots, is to aggressively apply steady pressure to the muscle. The approach, while common, can be painful and uncomfortable at best. Additionally, when the body feels attacked, the fight or flight system activates and muscle release is all is an uphill battle. I have researched extensively, various techniques to add to my medical massage training. There is a relationship between thoughts and the physical body. Passive and progressive muscle release are techniques that help release muscle tension through visualization with guided meditation. The person visualizes the muscles releasing tension. 





The difficulty is getting people to relax enough for this to be fully effective. Most people prefer 90 or 120 minutes of my massage because the time is necessary for deeper relation and more effective muscle release. Every aspect of my massage, from the moment a client enters my room is designed for relaxation to assist my work. My goal is to remind the muscles of their natural state. I am passionate about the work I do as a massage therapist and recognize the stress overstimulation has on the body. 

No comments:

Post a Comment