Tuesday, October 18, 2016

The Problem Isn’t Over-Sharing. It’s Over-Following

In the article “The problem isn’t over-sharing. Its over-following,” The author Penny Drexler discusses the most frequent annoyances of Facebook and social media. She discusses the idea that many people dislike those who document their child’s every move, and even create profiles for their children. The idea isn’t that this is the true issue with social media, but instead discusses our want and need to complain as the reason we strongly dislike these types of post. The article mentions studies done that show the overall dislike for these types of post, and studies discussing why we continue to obsess over social media. The main idea is that the obsessive need to complain, and follow something that is strongly disliked is what is leading people to continue with these trends. The article discuses following every aspect of a relationship breaking down over social media, and the fact that we continue to read and can’t look away. This made me think of a similar example from my own experience. I am friends with someone who I have never met, from the town of my old roommate in New Jersey. After my friend showed me his page, and ridiculous opinions he spouted, I added him as a friend and began to follow his every post. Though I didn’t agree with almost all of his opinions, and many of his posts angered me with stupidity, I continued to read and follow out of pure entertainment. I had no connection to this person whatsoever, and became obsessed with his page.

My last post discussed how deleting the Facebook app off my phone, allowed me to stop relying on information from the page. By constantly refreshing and hoping for new information, my viewing became impatient, and unenjoyable. This idea can also be applied here. The obsession with complaining leads to constant checking of Facebook and other social media platforms. Following something disliked in order to connect and discuss later is what leads us to continue obsessing over these pages. Is this a good thing? Should we be okay with knowing that we obsess over dislike? My opinion is no we shouldn’t, and should look for better ways to spend our time. Though studies show complaining relieves stress that combined with the amount of time spent on social media is far too much. By deleting these apps off of phones, it allows for more time away from the device, and less time worrying about what others are posting. It also allows for finding others ways to find enjoyment, other than complaining about the posts of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment