Sunday, September 25, 2016

Google For President

In the article “Research in India suggests Google search results can influence an election - The Washington Post” I read about how Google is affecting the elections. There is a strong case made that Google does affect elections but I have my doubts on strongly it does. I would like to be able to to review the work. Such as the statistic that were taken. How many test were done before he got these results? What was the Type I and Type II error of the test? What was the critical value he was measuring against to prove his results were significant enough to matter to prove his hypothesis. Even besides the test we, as in the students, have learned about Google and algorithm gatekeepers that only show information an individual would want to see. As the article goes on other information and stats are provided for us to see. What we are missing is information on outside influences. These other outside factors may be contributing just as much as Google is to the election. Google may influence elections but I feel more research needs to be done to say it influences and significantly as stated in the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment