Thursday, September 15, 2016

Choices: Do you choose your own actions?


     After reading today's assigned readings, a constant dialogue ran through my head about who really is responsible for  my own actions? With that in mind who is responsible for any other person's actions as well? I believe that it would not be a true statement to say that media do not effect us? I myself indulge in many forms of influence when it comes to media. I choose what to explore or even  with what to entertain myself. Do those choices influence me? If the answer was a straight black and white answer, then yes. But as in the article ,  What is Media effect,  there are many variables I will need to considered to accurately answer the question. For example the key issues of change  and duration.
Because of  my selective perception, I was drawn to the documentary, Fed up. As soon as I finished watching it, I had already composed in my mind to change my diet and that of my children. Did this media have an effect on me? Yes. Change was made at a long duration. Trust me , my kids look forward to visiting other people's homes, just to eat what they call , "normal" cereal.
But did the media influence me or did my selective perception did?
It was my curiosity and desire to seek an answer to my own questions in my  own world  of why I had an issue with governmental cheese and kool-aid. I sought out something that would answer those questions. The documentary provided an optional answer, I chose to agree with it. I was responsible for my action. Was there influence, perhaps but the ultimate decision to change was mine.

     This brings me to the two articles involving children. As a parent, I believe it is my responsibility to inform and create a safe environment for my children. With selective exposure, i tend to make adjustments accordingly to my beliefs in parenting. I have been told that I have unconventional parenting methods, but yet I may agree that  I may be a bit conservative. I do not allow my son to play with videos games that involves shooting. Will he ever play with some that does, perhaps, but I don't measure his allowances by his age, its his maturity. He has found ways to  express violent behavior on minecraft ironically. Although its very minor, but it raises the question if its truly the video game or external influences, that are organic , because as you would guess I don't allow him to watch movies that are violent. My son chooses to perform theses actions. Are these actions influenced, perhaps but I can't really say that they are from videos games or movies, those variables aren't in this formula. Now in defense of the article about the video game playing, I do agree that if he would to play the game he will demonstrate violent behavior involving the action of shooting a gun. It is because he is being expose to a behavior that is being channel as something fun. My son's maturity level cannot help distinguish the two currently. He cannot make an informed choice.
So this leads to movie ratings, Again , I believe the movies themselves may influence actions but the decision to act still remains in the hands of the individual. However, I believe that it is the responsibility of the movie makers to rate the movies appropriately.  That would involve an extensive amount of research , which apparently seems that they may resistant in doing. it would interesting to see why, but I digress. I also noticed the little plug in the findings of how gender played a part in the parents responses to what was is allowable to watch. Just needed to mention date. My selective exposure came into play.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post! I look forward to discussing your thoughts in class this afternoon. Just a friendly reminder though – reading responses are due by noon the day before class (e.g., by 12pm today), so this one is considered late. Nonetheless, as I mentioned in my response to the class’ anonymous feedback over the weekend, if this deadline collides with your work schedule, let me know and we can work something out to make your life easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Don't forget to add a label to your post, Ofelia!

    ReplyDelete